Tuesday, February 28, 2012

25Feb Sydney, Australia

Most of fellow passengers are getting excited about coming into Sydney after sailing the vast Pacific Ocean for nearly 3 weeks with just few ports to visit.
I had to admit that I was also getting emotional as I have my parents and friends on the ship’s visitor list.
It will be a busy day in the first day of Sydney.
We got up early even before the ship entered into the harbour.
It was quite an experience to sail in between North and South Heads of Sydney where divides the ocean and the harbour.
Within an hour, we were already passing in front of the Sydney Opera House and for the first time, we were sliding under the Sydney Harbour Bridge!

Few people were disappointed that we are not docking at Circular Quay with fantastic view of the city, Opera House and Harbour Bridge.
But, I thought the Barangaroo terminal at Sydney Darling Harbor would be better location in terms of tourist attractions.
It is closer to the city center, Fish market, China town, shopping and etc.
Port authority organized a shuttle bus to Pitt Street where is close to Circular Quay anyway.

We only managed to get off the ship around 10am even though our ship docked at 8.30.
It was a bit of frustration for waiting the ship to be cleared as there are few things to be done before lunch appointment at the Pinnacle restaurant.
My friends Steve and Louis drove our car to Barangaroo terminal to meet us up.
I took over the car and drop them off in the city while I was gone to pick up my parents.
Our little Maltese Coco was jumping around us with joy when she saw us after 2 months.
Due to usual Saturday heavy traffic, we were late coming back to the ship with my parents.
I am glad that we were only 10 minutes late for the lunch when we came on board with my parents, Steve and Louis.
We showed them around the ship top to bottom after nice lunch at the Pinnacle and had glass of champagne in our cabin balcony.
They were impressed with interiors of the ship and the services around the cruise facilities.
It was 3pm when it was high tea time at the Crow’s Nest Bar on top deck which we all also enjoyed.
Greg went out to pick up his friend Sharyn while I was gone to drop Steve and Louis off.
Sharyn was happy to stay for dinner with our table mates whom she already has met over the years and I pre-arranged another table for 4 of us with my parents.
Everything went well as planned and I was especially happy that we sat at the table right next to our usual one.
I was so glad that everyone enjoyed the day especially my proud parents who were so happy to see me in 2 months.
What a day of both excitement and emotion!
I have been in and out of the ship and driving around but I drove off Sharyn to her home in Manly and my parents in inner west after dinner.
I was exhausted but came with great satisfaction.
Now, the part two of our holiday starts! ^^;

Passing Lord Howe Island

Ball Pyramid Island just off the coast of Lord Howe Is.

Entering Sydney Harbour in between North and South Heads

North Head, Manly where few people already up and about the sea on boats and canoes

Classic view of Sydney Opera House and Harbour Bridge

Magnificent view of the city

North Sydney suburb Kirribilli where Australian Governor General and Prime Minister’s houses are located

Luna Park under the bridge

Temporary cruise terminal in Barangaroo at Darling Harbour

Welcome to Sydney

Greg, Barbie and Susie on deck

Hey, we got the Harbour Bridge on our back

Aren’t we glad that our ship is not so tall?

Bridge climbers enjoying the view of cruise ship

Lined up for the Opera House

No comments:

Post a Comment